SPECIAL NewsFlash – Thursday, May 21, 2020
As we continue to collectively respond to the COVID-19 situation, please see below new and ongoing information on SPUC’s response:
- Please join us online for our May 24th Sunday Service. The service starts at 10:30 a.m. but the room will be “opened” at 10:15 a.m. for a time of fellowship and connection.
- Please ensure that you are using Zoom version 5.0 if you logon using a computer, tablet or iPad. The system should prompt you to do an automatic update if you log on using version 4.0. For more information on this updated version please visit the Zoom website at zoom.us.
- The bulletin for the service can be found at https://stpaulsajax.org/worship/
- Long time SPUC member Mabel S will be celebrating her 90th birthday on Tuesday May 26th. You are invited to help her mark this milestone by sending her a card. Please contact the church office to obtain her address.
- The Men’s Group will be holding their breakfast meeting via Zoom on Saturday, June 13th at 9 a.m. All men welcome.
- Once again our Sunday worship service will be offered on a software platform called ZOOM which a number of Canadian churches are using as their communities of faith come together to worship using their computers or their devices.
- For links to the Zoom room and the bulletin, please visit the Worship page on the SPUC website
- ZOOM has added a number of security features to their software platform to ensure your privacy. To learn more, please click HERE.
- To join on Sunday via your computer, simply Join Zoom Meeting by clicking on https://zoom.us/j/213251299 and follow the directions. For best results, please load Zoom via a CHROME browser.
- Please note that, again for security reasons, you will be placed in a Waiting Room when you first log on and brought into the call as your identity is verified. The chat feature on the call has been disabled and the meeting locked after 10 minutes after the service starts. Latecomers will not be admitted.
- If you don’t have a computer but you want to hear what is being presented, you can listen in by dialing 647-374-4685 or 647-558-0588 and enter Meeting ID: 213 251 299.
- If you aren’t able to join in, the services will be recorded and a link will be posted later in the week on the Worship page.
- SPUC Bible Studies are posted to the website. You can participate by clicking HERE.
- Please join Rev. Cordelia for a weekly drop in social time via Zoom every Friday between 1:30 and 2:30 pm. All welcome.
- To obtain a link to the weekly drop in, please contact the church office.
- After one year of use the Worship Committee is reviewing the Narrative Lectionary and we’d like your feedback. Please click on the link below to give your feedback or contact Rev. Cordelia at email@example.com. https://doodle.com/poll/8ebkwfs88rwb73eg
- Starting June 14th the All Request Sermon Series is returning and Rev. Cordelia wants to know what you want to hear a sermon about. Send your requests to firstname.lastname@example.org or call the church office.
- A reminder that the church building is CLOSED.
- If you need to enter the building, please call the church office 24 hours in advance and arrange a time so that we can ensure everyone’s safety by confirming that the building has been sanitized before you enter and after you leave.
- Even though the church building is closed, our shared responsibility to support the church through regular donations is still very important.
- If you are not on PAR, you can mail in a cheque or drop off you donations in a sealed envelope through the church mailbox on the south door. The mailbox is emptied on a daily basis.
- Or you can click on the Support St. Paul’s box on the home page and donate via our PayPal account.
- Do you or someone you know need support with accessing affordable food services during the pandemic? With the challenges of COVID-19 and the public health directives for social distancing, Community Care Durham is delivering nutrition to the tables of its clients and other vulnerable residents of Durham Region through a new service called the Community Food Box. With the support of local businesses and farms, CCD is currently assembling more than 170 food boxes, each containing the essentials for healthy eating. Food Boxes are delivered to clients by CCD volunteers and staff every Friday. Community Food Boxes can be purchased for $30.00. Order on Monday with free delivery of your Food Box to your door on Friday. Please call 1-888-255-6680 to order.
- Are you making masks? As the Province and local public health officials provide direction on lifting the lockdown, the need for masks is increasing. We are looking for people who may be able to make masks that we can sell or donate to congregation members and other local residents who may require one. Please contact Catharine via the Church Office if you are able to help out.
Following and obtaining direction from accredited, factual and reliable sources is key to our shared response to this evolving situation. The following links are provided for your information:
- Public Health Agency of Canada – federal
- Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care – provincial
· includes a link to a self-assessment tool
- Durham Region Health Department – local
If you are in crisis there are places you can call for help:
Mental Health Helpline 1-866-531-2600
Durham Mental Health Services 1-800-742-1890
Ontario Shores Crisis Line 1-800-263-2679
Kids Help Phone 1-800-668-6868
Distress Centre Durham 1-800-452-0688
Please do your part to help flatten the COVID-19 curve. Stay home. Stay safe.